The city of Las Vegas has immediate openings for certified lifeguards and water safety instructors. Applicants must be at least 16 years old and possess current certifications in lifeguarding, first aid, CPR and automated external defibrillator (AED) use. The pay scale will be between $9 and $11 per hour. Tryouts and interviews will take place each month until positions are filled. Interested candidates should call the Municipal Pool at (702) 229-6309 to schedule an interview and tryout, or apply online at www.lasvegasparksandrec.com.
If you are not yet certified but interested in becoming a seasonal or career lifeguard, the city offers Pre-Lifeguarding Skills and American Red Cross Lifeguarding courses.
- The Pre-Lifeguarding Skills course is provided to strengthen swimming skills and prerequisite abilities for future lifeguard training certification. Each two-week course is held at Municipal Pool; the first class begins Jan. 27. Municipal Pool is located at 431 E. Bonanza Road.
- The American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is a 25.5-hour class that provides the American Red Cross Universal Certificate for Lifeguarding/First-Aid/CPR/AED, which is valid for two years. Participants must be at least 15 years old, pass prerequisite tests on the first day of class, and must attend each class session to obtain certification. Courses are given at three locations: Municipal Pool, Pavilion Center Pool and Baker Pool. The next class begins Jan. 27 at Municipal Pool.
American Red Cross courses to recertify previously certified lifeguards, to learn to certify others in lifeguarding, or to become learn-to-swim instructors also are available.
- The Lifeguarding/First-Aid/CPR/AED Review course is open to individuals with a current lifeguarding/first aid/CPR/AED certificate that are at least 15 years old. Upon completion of the 14-hour course, participants will be given the American Red Cross Universal Certificate for Lifeguarding/First-Aid/CPR/AED, which is valid for two years. Instruction is provided over two days, with the first class scheduled for May 10.
- The Lifeguarding Instructor course is open to current lifeguarding/first-aid/CPR/AED-certified individuals 17 years and older. The 21-hour course will take place April 14-18 at Pavilion Center Pool, located at 101 S. Pavilion Center Drive. An authorized provider fee must be paid and an online orientation must be completed before beginning the course.
- The Water Safety Instructor course will provide the knowledge and certification to successfully teach others to swim. The 30.5-hour course is open to individuals 16 years and older that can perform a water skills test satisfactorily. An authorized provider fee must be paid before beginning the course.
Details on course schedules, fees, specific prerequisites and learning materials can be obtained online at www.lasvegasnevada.gov/files/Splash_for_Cash.pdf in the Splash for Cash brochure or by calling the Municipal Pool at (702) 229-6309. Advance registration is required for all classes. Register for courses online at www.lasvegasparksandrec.com or in person at any year-round city pool or recreational facility.